Monday, September 9, 2013

6 Weeks Post-Op (Infection, back to work, back to exercising)

Hey All,

I'm now 6 weeks post-op and I felt it was high time I posted an update because it's been about 2.5 weeks since my last update. To bring you up to speed, everything is good overall but I did have a little infection for a little while there. Which is a big part of why I didn't update. If you read my last post I was all ready really frustrated with healing and then I got the infection and was REALLY fed up with healing. lol So I didn't want to make a post of me just complaining about everything. I was confident I would get through it eventually but boy I was feeling negative about everything so I figured I'd write about it once I had a hold on things. And then I went back to work a week ago and got kind of busy with that. lol But now that you're up to date let me elaborate on my infection and how I'm healing so far.

The Infection 

In hindsight it wasn't really that bad. In the moment it was scary but I never had a fever. I never felt physically ill. Basically what happened, there seems to be an increase in swelling in the penis and the penis felt particularly sensitive all of a sudden. At times the sensitivity was to the point of being painful. I wasn't too concerned and attributed it to not taking the Ibuprofen anymore. But then, puss started coming out. lol Yes, very gross. It wasn't any crazy colors or anything it was just normal, albeit gross, puss. So I went to the ER. They gave me oral antibiotics as well as an antibiotic ointment to apply to the area and told me to follow up with my primary doctor in about 5 days. They took a culture of the area and said the results would be sent to my doctor. I was extremely nervous about going to the ER with my post-op penis because I have had less than adequate care in other healthcare facilities and this was going to involve me telling them my story and showing them my genitals. BUT, everyone was totally respectful and cool about everything. I'm pretty sure the doctor had never seen an FTM post-op penis, because he couldn't even pronounce the word metoidioplasty, which is okay because I'm not sure I'm pronouncing it right half the time either. lol But he wasn't weird about it in the slightest and was very matter-of-fact about it. He said, I'm going to treat you with medicine that handles all the common types of post-op infections, so you're going to be fine. Slapped me on the ass and told me to have a nice day. Okay that last part isn't true.  

And he was right! Well at least so far so good. Knock on wood. I went on the antibiotics and instantly things looked better. Although at around day 4 I had a little bit more puss come out. When I followed up with my doctor on day 5, she said the little bit of puss might have just been some that worked it's way out but she extended my antibiotics from a 7 day schedule to a 10 day schedule just to be safe. I've been off the antibiotics for 6 days now and there doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm still keeping a watchful eye on it though.

I discussed my infection with Dr. Medalie (my surgeon) via e-mail and he said he "didn't believe it was surgery related because of the area infected." In other words he didn't believe it was a typical staph infection because it wasn't in an area right around any incision lines. So I asked my primary care doctor, "how could I get a random infection in that area at a time when I'm washing it with antibacterial soap twice a day? It's probably the cleanest it's ever been!" And she elaborated that while it might not have been a "staph infection directly related from surgery" having a surgery lowers your immune system plus I had a lot of inflammation in the area which probably made me more susceptible. So basically they don't believe it was a full blown staph infection from surgery but indirectly this surgery may have caused it. Which is good, because from what I hear staph infections are terrible. I asked my primary doctor if my penis was going to fall off. She was dying laughing, but reassured me that "No, it would not." And that's all that really mattered to me at that point. lol

So things are looking good considering I'm 6 weeks post-op. There are a few very minor cosmetic things that I'm hoping will change over time. It's still really early on in the healing process to know how things are really going to look. As the swelling goes down things start to take shape. Things are going to keep changing over the course of the next maybe 6 months to a year. So at this point I'm not stressing about any asymmetries. Worse case scenario in a year I can go back and have him do some very minor touch up work. But it's still very possible that in a few months things will look even better. I know with my chest surgery, right after, it looks pretty jacked up, but by the 1 year mark it looked tremendously different. 'Gotta give the body time to heal.

Back to Work!! 

Speaking of healing, back to work and functioning pretty damn close to normal at this point. I have never been so happy to get back to work. In hindsight, I might have been babying myself more then necessary. But it doesn't matter. I'm out and about now running around at work chasing after kids and what not. lol And I feel great to be doing stuff again. I'm not the kind of guy that can be happy just sitting around watching TV all day. 

I did purchase a soft cup and wear it at work. It serves a couple purposes. As annoying and sweaty as it can sometimes be, it allows me to wear nicer pants and not have to worry about the friction against my healing genitals. Up until I started working I almost exclusively wore gym shorts and I really didn't want to go to work in gym shorts. lol Also, I really do sometimes have to run after kids in my job, and the soft cup keeps my thighs from knocking everything around, so that's nice. The other thing about working with kids is they are all at a height where it is very easy to be knocked in the genitals, so the cup also offers protection when a 100 kids are running around the playground like maniacs. I feel safe with the soft cup on. Not sure how long I'll wear it. 

I also have a couple hard cups but at this point they're way too uncomfortable to wear. I am currently working on integrating a student into the typical 1st grade class, but next week I'll be back to my normal class room where the kids are a little more rough, shall we say. Some hit or headbutt and these are little guys but they are right at that level where I'd be seeing stars if they made the right contact. lol So when I get back to working in my normal class room I might wear the hard cup. We'll see. Depends if by next week I'm at a place where I can stand to wear it for 7 straight hours. If not, then I'll wear the soft one, and be very mindful of my surroundings at all times. I'm not too worried because at this point I don't think it's going to cause any serious damage. My incision lines are pretty well healed and I only have a few stubborn stitches that haven't dissolved yet. I just think it will hurt like hell because it's still really sensitive down there. Maybe it always will be. Maybe this is just part of having external genitals. The world becomes such a scary place when you have external genitals. lol I at least want to wait until all my stitches are gone and then I'll consider losing the cup.

Exercise

Oh yes, and back to exercising. Still not doing any lower body or cardio stuff because I am paranoid I'll hurt the testicles. The body basically forms a sort of capsule around the testicle implants over the first few months and until that happens I don't wanna do anything to make it more to a bad position. One is all ready lower then I'd like it to be. It doesn't look unnatural because I know a lot of cis-men don't have testicles that are perfectly side by side but I don't want it to go any lower so I'm trying not to aggravate it.

I've been doing lots of weight lifting for my upper body. Getting the heart pumping makes me feel so good. I think that was a big part of why I've been feeling so blah. Exercise is really important to my emotional stability. When I don't exercise regularly I get depressed easily so I am very happy to be back at it. 



Well that is enough for now. At this point the changes in it are slower and a lot less drastic than the first couple weeks so I'll try to update every couple of weeks with how things are going. I still want to talk in depth about the pubic lift (aka mons resection) but I want to wait until I'm a little more healed so that I can really give my opinion of how it has or has not helped the placement of things. At this point, I want to say, yes it has helped drastically! But I don't know if in a few months when all the swelling is down I might feel differently so before I really elaborate on that I'm going to let my body do some more healing. I will also talk more about aesthetics and function etc. when my body is a little more healed. For now, I'm doing all the things I need to do. I feel almost back to normal at this point. 

And I'm still extremely happy with my result. :-]


7 comments:

  1. You New update.? Late or this is it. which is ok lots start these and then stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I am 2 months post-op now and will be updating soon. I think a lot of us create surgery blogs and eventually don't write anymore because after a while there isn't much more to say about it. lol I am writing less often at this point because now the changes are not very frequent. If I updated every week it would say pretty much the same thing each time. I will be posting a 2 month update in the next few days. After that, I would like to update at least once a month, or basically when there is anything new to report about healing. If I end up having a revision surgery I will certainly update a lot about that.

      At this point healing is going quite well but there are a few little things I'd like to talk about in my next post. I would also like to talk about my pubic lift and really elaborate on that because many ask questions about it. But I want everything to heal a little more before I really get into detail about the pubic lift.

      Overall, I'm very happy and things are well. Stay tuned for my next update.

      Delete
  2. guess this is it. glad it all turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry it's been taking me so long to update. I've been very busy. I will do my current update today in just a few minutes.

      Delete
  3. I Used Dr Aziba Product to solve my Penis Growth For Help!
    problem of 3.8 inches to 9.0 Inches in Less than Seven Days.
    Two hours after starting the Product, I began to feel its results. My penis was tingling (but it did not hurt), and little by little it was growing. Three days later, it already measured 6.6 inches. I had to do absolutely nothing because it was completely automatic. Six days later, I had gained one more Eight inch. The result: 8.1 inches! I began to feel more confident as I slept with my Girlfriend, who is always willing to do the dirty. In the end, she told me a lot has changed in me and i now gives her so much orgasms in half an hour. I'm recommending you with similar problem or any health issues like HSV,HPV,ALS,DIABETICE etc., to Get In Contact with Doctor Aziba via Email: Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com & WhatsApp +2348100368288 For Help!









    I Used Dr Aziba Product to solve my Penis Growth For Help!
    problem of 3.8 inches to 9.0 Inches in Less than Seven Days.
    Two hours after starting the Product, I began to feel its results. My penis was tingling (but it did not hurt), and little by little it was growing. Three days later, it already measured 6.6 inches. I had to do absolutely nothing because it was completely automatic. Six days later, I had gained one more Eight inch. The result: 8.1 inches! I began to feel more confident as I slept with my Girlfriend, who is always willing to do the dirty. In the end, she told me a lot has changed in me and i now gives her so much orgasms in half an hour. I'm recommending you with similar problem or any health issues like HSV,HPV,ALS,DIABETICE etc., to Get In Contact with Doctor Aziba via Email: Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com & WhatsApp +2348100368288 For Help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. READ ABOUT DR AZIBA NATURAL HERBAL PRODUCT FOR PENIS ENLARGEMENT.
    I want to share this wonderful testimony to the Good people all over the world on how I was able to Enlarge my Penis by Dr. Aziba. I was living a shameful life from my young age, just last month as I was browsing on the internet about Penis size and Enlargement Products, I saw a testimony of a Man called Tim James testifying of how he was able to get his penis Enlarged by Dr. Aziba and I decided to also Email Dr. Aziba for my small penis size and he quickly respond to me and gave me the normal instructions which i did and then he shipped the product to me here in the united state which i received in just 3 working days and today i am very happy because i started seeing positive changes in my penis size in just 7 days of use. Dr Aziba herbal product is the best recommended for you and to whom ever suffering from this shame or having any other diseases as well should Contact this great herbal doctor via his Email : Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com and WhatsApp Him on +2348100368288

    ReplyDelete