Sunday, August 11, 2013

13 Days Post-Op: Healing over the last few days

Hey Everyone,
Just checking in. Healing is going very well. Since I've last updated swelling has continued to come down everyday. On about 10 days post-op I finally started to feel like I could stand up straight, which makes walking much easier. For those who haven't read, I was experiencing quite a bit of tightness in my pubic region due to the pubic lift incision. I'll explain more about that in a post I intend to do about the pubic lift (aka mons resection) which by the way I am very happy with so far. On the subject of walking, slowly I'm able to have my legs a little closer together which is also making walking easier.

To summarize, at this point getting in and out of bed is no problem at all and has been quite easy all ready for at least a few days, and walking is also pretty easy. I still look kind of funny walking, but at this point it isn't painful, though if I do a lot of walking then toward the end of the day I do usually experience some slight aching in the testicle area.

Sitting is still the thing that sucks. lol There's no other way to put it. Granted, it has got a lot easier to sit up but to do it for long periods of time is tough. Last Tuesday (8 days post-op), I went to my local Transgender Support Group and brought a fluffy pillow to sit on and sat for about 2 hours. Then we stood outside talking for a while. Then some of us decided to go get milkshakes so we did that and sat on stools at Johnny Rockets because that's all that was open. That was really tough. And at the time walking was still pretty hard so by the end of it I was extremely tired.

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday (9-11days post-op) I decided to go check out the LGBT films from the Providence Film Festival going on. Again I brought a big pillow and each night I sat for about 2-3 hours. It was very uncomfortable. I wouldn't say painful, just very uncomfortable. Lots of adjusting was in order. It mostly hurts my butt more than anything because of the way I have to sit so that I'm not sitting on the testicles. So at the end of every night my butt was pretty sore, yes. This weekend (12-13 days post-op) I just felt like I needed to relax, although today I'm kind of bored so my friend is picking me up to hang at her house in a little while.

I have one area that seems to be healing much slower than the rest. The area under the penis where it meets the body and is right against the top of the testicles. I'm assuming it's healing slower because it doesn't get as much air as the rest of it and it's hard to really keep that area dry. But it does seem to be getting better everyday. The doctor told me to wash the whole surgical site with antibacterial soap twice a day, keep applying the bacitracin ointment, and just give it time to heal.

Oh another thing that's been going on with healing, I am pretty much a hypochondriac. lol So then I have surgery and it becomes way worse. I'm constantly worrying if everything is healing okay. I have called my surgeons office and e-mailed him pictures with new crazy things I'm worried about multiple times. And him and his office always get back to me promptly and always telling me I'm doing just fine and not to worry. I really just can't wait until all of the incisions are fully healed so I can stop worrying about them. I just really care about my body, especially this new penis, and I want to make sure everything is healthy. But thank God for a understanding surgeon who keeps assuring me everything looks like it's healing fine. I think that's important that our line of communication is open and he responds quickly because it can be a scary thing to have surgery far away from home. Then to be healing at home so far from your surgeon, it's nice that him and his office are great.

Everything still looks fantastic. I'm still very happy with how everything is going so far. Probably my chief complain at the moment is the weird sensations I have around the pubic lift incision line. Above the line there are spots where the sensation is dulled and that feels weird; below the incision line, basically where my pubic hair grows above my penis, is super sensitive. Therefore, when I'm home, I spend a lot of time naked with a laptop tray over my penis and a blanket over the laptop tray so that nothing touches the area. The weird sensations definitely get better each day. Some days are worse than others. The doctor said this is normal and to just give everything time to settle down. I wasn't too concerned about it. I had similar experiences on the skin of my chest after chest surgery and now the sensation on my chest is very normal all over.

Well that's basically where I'm at now. I'll be sure to update in a few days about healing. I would also soon like to write the following posts: "Why I Chose My Surgeon" and "All About My Pubic Lift" so stay tuned for those.

****Edited: Last night, I went to go watch a meteor shower at a local beach with a friend. And for the first time, I had a moment where I was standing and I didn't notice the testicles. lol Like before this point, it has always felt like I've had two bowling balls between my legs. For the first time, yesterday I didn't even notice them. Kind of like getting a new facial piercing (for those of you who have every had one), you can feel it there very apparent for a while but eventually it doesn't even phase you. It's just nice with the testicles because I was starting on some level to feel like it was never going to feel normal to stand/walk again. lol But obviously it will, it will just take some getting used to. And before I know it, I wont even notice them there unless I think about them.

1 comment:

  1. have you thought to prop it up some how and sit in your room naked that way a few hrs a day for air to also get to it. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete