Thursday, August 1, 2013

Post-Op Care

Hey Everyone,
So I'm at a little past 3 days post-op! In this blog post I'm going to talk about what I (and my friends) needed to do for post-op care these first three days.

Post-Op Care

The things I need to do are not really that hard...in theory. lol It's a short pretty simple list but you're about to read what it's like to actually carry these things out. lol

Medications -
Pills
I have my pain medication which I take every 4 hours. Then I have antibiotics that I need to take with food 4 times a day for the first 7 days post-op. Luckily, no problems with nausea from the pain meds or diarrhea from the antibiotics which are two symptoms I was told were very possible. The pain meds have however given me some serious constipation. I took over the counter Milk of Magnesia and that helped things along some but it still was not easy. lol Remembering to take the pills I needed a lot of help with the first day because I had such terrible memory from the anesthesia. After that first day I set timers in my phone for when to take my pills but my friends still made sure to remind me, especially about the antibiotic.
Ointments
They asked me to get Bacitracin and apply it to all the stitched areas 3 times a day. I can't even fully see the stitched areas without a mirror so my friend Lauren had to help me with that. I would sort of sit (mostly leaning back) on the edge of my bed and she'd use gloves and apply the medicated ointment to all the areas that have stitches showing. These areas were each testicle and the underside of my penis from the base to the tip. There are stitches up across the incision where the pubic lift was but this area is covered with steri-strips and does not need to have medication placed on it. I was pretty scared about letting her touch my stitches but she went gentle and honestly it didn't hurt at all.

Cleaning - 
Mandatory Cleaning (doctors orders)
After I urinate I have to take an UNSCENTED baby wipe and dab the area; no wiping! just dabbing. And because of swelling when I pee urine just goes like everywhere lol (thighs, butt cheeks, all over the testicles and sometimes the top of the toilet seat) so I usually have to wipe my thighs and butt with the baby wipes after dabbing the genital area gently. After any bowl movement I also need to clean it with a baby wipe very carefully not to get any germs on my genital area.
My one a day cleaning I was told to start 24 hours after surgery. So after I was 24 hours post-op we had our first washing. I was very scared of this. lol I was dreading it the whole first day. But it wasn't bad. He wanted me to basically just wash the area with warm antibacterial soapy water. They recommended liquid dial gentle antibacterial soap. They said realistically I probably wasn't going to be able to get off all the dried blood and what not right away and they told me not to worry about that. Basically my friend Lauren took over and cleaned me each time. I really didn't realize how much I was going to need help after surgery and I'm not sure my friends knew what they were in for either. lol I knew they were gonna end up seeing me naked but I didn't realize how up close and personal things were going to get. lol But thank god, Lauren took over because I was too scared to do much down there. Basically I would stand in the shower and she would run the tub water warm, take a cup, fill it with the warm water, add the dial mix it up and make it all sudsy. Then she'd take that water and pour it all over my penis and testicles careful not to get my drain incision wet because that can't get wet at all. So she'd fill the cup a few times with soap and water pouring it over me genital area. Then she'd do it a few times just with warm water to get the soap off and that was it. all done! Nothing to be scared of. But I was scared every single time. lol Then I'd get out of the tub and use a towel to kinda carefully dry my thighs and use a guaze pad to very gently pat try my penis and balls.
Non-Mandatory Cleaning (stuff I did just to not feel gross)
I didn't "need" to do the following things but I did them because they made me feel not so gross. I am unable to shower until the drain is out so I wanted to at least clean up. I bought CVS brand cloths to sponge bathe myself. You throw the whole package in the microwave and it warms them up. You wipe your body down with it and let it dry. It leaves you feeling clean and soft and smelling kind of like baby powder. It's not necessary but honestly they're cheap and it just makes me feel better. Comfort is nice when you're healing.
I also had my friend Kendra wash my hair in the sink on Wednesday. lol We were going out and I didn't want my hair to look greasy so I had her wash it for me. I had to get in a very strange position to get my head in the sink since leaning forward at the waste is hard/painful right now but we managed and I looked nice and felt nice.

Emptying Drain - 
There is one drain. I'm pretty sure he only uses a drain on his metoidioplasties if you have a pubic lift which I had therefore I have a drain. The drain is off the right directly on the side of the horizontal incision from the pubic lift. During the first 24 hours post-op the drain needed to be emptied and recorded every 4 hours minimum. You have to do it more often I think if it becomes half full. Mine never became more than half full so Lauren emptied my drain every 4 hours during that first night and day. To empty a drain you basically have to "milk" the tube pushing all of the fluid  from the tube into the end receptacle which looks like one of those children's juice's "Teeny Drinks." It's the same type of drain that most top surgeons use. One all the fluid is pushed into the receptacle then you have to squeeze all the fluids/blood into a measuring cup, then you record how much was in there. Lauren did this for me the first two days. Third day (today) I was doing it on my own. After the first 24 hours it only needs to be done twice a day (more if you reach 1/3 full I believe is the rule) but after the first 24 hours I had an extremely small amount of fluid coming out so we've only had to empty it twice a day. By the way, I'm going to my first post-op appointment tomorrow (Friday, 4 days post-op) and my surgeon's nurse is going to check if the drain is ready to come out. Once the drain is out I can technically go home. But I have a really long drive so even if it comes out tomorrow we're not going to leave just yet. If the drain stays in, then I have another appointment Monday and he said by Monday it will definitely be ready to come out. He was pretty confident that it'd be out by Friday though and with such little stuff coming out I'm thinking it will be out by then. That will be super nice because that means I'll be able to take a real shower yay!!!

Ice - 
They didn't say it was mandatory but they encouraged it (20 minutes on and 20 minutes off, as often as needed and always make sure there is cloths between the ice pack and the skin) and let me tell you, god it helps so much! I usually hate to use ice packs on any sort of injuries but I'm tell you ice packs have been tremendously amazing. If I'm aching, I put an ice pack on and in a few minutes the pain is gone. Mmmm ice packs! If you have this surgery get lots of soft flexible ice packs. I have two plus one they gave me at the hospital. I keep them in the little freezer of the hotel's mini fridge and I switch them out as I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment